Introduction to Social Value and ECC Social Value Priorities
We opened the festival by setting out the context for the week's activities and introducing Social Value and how it can contribute social, economic and environmental benefits to our communities.
Colleagues across Essex County Council and leading experts reflected on challenges and opportunities in the region, as well the role of Local Authorities, Public Procurement, local businesses, 'anchor institutions' (large employers in the county), small businesses and Voluntary Community and Social Enterprises. Please access the recordings by clicking on the speakers' names.
- Opening Address - Councillor Whitbread, Cabinet Member for Finance, Resources and Corporate Affairs outlined the importance of social value to Essex County County and the benefits we seek for Essex residents.
- Keynote - Professor Chris White, Director of the Industrial Policy and Insight Centre at the Manufacturing Technology Centre and a visiting Professor of Industrial Strategy at Loughborough University As the former Conservative MP and author of the Social Value Act (2012), Professor Chris White shared with us the original aspirations for the Social Value Act, the progress that has been made and the opportunities he sees for local economic growth.
- Samantha Butler, ECC Social Value Lead and Cabinet Office Head of Social Value Skills and Engagement Samantha outlined Essex County Council's approach to scoring and measuring Social Value and the contents of the Social Value Catalogue. Click here to access the slides (PDF, 935KB)
In the second half of this event, we moved to 3 thought-provoking discussions groups each with an expert panel and Q&A. NB: these session were not recorded. Please access the slides available by clicking on the speakers' names.
Breakout session 1 - Social Value: The Opportunity for Vendors looks at the case for social value from the vendor's perspective:
- Dr Joshua Pritchard, Senior Policy Advisor, Public Sector Markets, CBI
- Ben Carpenter, CEO, Social Value International
- Louise Townsend, Head of Social Value and Sustainability, Morgan Sindall
Breakout session 2 - Social Value and the Climate explored how social value can help us to contribute to addressing environmental challenges. Environment is one of the Essex County Council Social Value Priorities. Daphne White, Head Research Innovation and Sector Growth ECC, will moderated the session. The panel speakers were:
- Samantha Kennedy, Director for Environment & Climate Action, ECC (PDF, 1,585KB)
- Sarah Howard, Procurement Climate Lead, ECC (PDF, 1,140KB)
- Pradyumna Pandit, Energy, Sales and Development Managing Director, Mitie (PDF, 1,654KB)
Breakout session 3 - Social Value: Creating New jobs and Skills covered Essex County Council's 'Employment, Skills and Youth' priorities and shared a range of employment opportunities. Laura Lee, Head of Procurement, ECC, moderated the session. The panel speakers were:
- Danielle Foster, Resource Delivery and Strategy Manager, ECC (PDF, 1,182KB)
- Susanne Davis, High Needs Funding & Targeted Employment Manager, Children and Young People with Disabilities Service SEND Strategy and Innovation, ECC
- Rob Brunger, Head of Inclusion and Engagement, Human Resources Department, Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation Trust (PDF, 880KB)